Help with a bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axelg

Reaction score
I have a Metabo 260 BAS Swift band saw. The belt drive is broken and in order to replace it I need to remove the bottom flywheel. I have removed the spring clip, but it will not slide off the axle. . Do not want to force it in case I damage the flywheel. I've tried contacting Metabo but no reply. Any suggestions?

I don’t know much about them but l would not expect it to just release itself without a bit of effort to pull it off the spindle or shaft . Good call from @Tris with the puller ( old age I guess ) as I couldn’t remember what they were called..

If you cant get a puller try some gas blowlamp heat to expand the flywheel before it heats the shaft and then if you can tap the pulley close to the centre or lever against something not the rim. If no good a puller will sort it in a few seconds

Hold your horses! You don’t take the bottom wheel off the shaft you take the wheel and shaft out if the machine as one unit, Do not try pulling the wheel off the shaft, you will be entering a whole world of pain.

@Sideways and I documented refurbishing a S45 bandsaw, in which we go through how to remove the wheel and shaft and how to set it back up afterwards. The arrangement of your bandsaw is the same.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/scm-minimax-s45-bandsaw-teardown-overhaul.135069/

As there was a spring clip on the end of the axle I assume that it’s there to prevent the flywheel coming off. The axle is not directly attached to the motor. I assume the flywheel is detachable to allow for the repacement of the drive belt which is behind the flywheel.

I get where Deema is coming from but I suspect the axle (75) on yours is held in be a machined step and nut (87) so will probably have to be pulled off the front.
Have a look at post #24 in the recommended thread and compare it to your machine. If there's no bolt and washer pulling the axle back in then it's got to come off the front

I get where Deema is coming from but I suspect the axle (75) on yours is held in be a machined step and nut (87) so will probably have to be pulled off the front.
Have a look at post #24 in the recommended thread and compare it to your machine. If there's no bolt and washer pulling the axle back in then it's got to come off the front
Looking at the exploded diagram that you sent me , it is the DEEP GROOVE BALL BEARING that will not budge. Is there a trick to release this ?

They are usually pretty tight and that's where the puller comes in. A bit of heat can help to move a stuck bearing, but be careful not to burn yourself if you put the puller on after heating it (BTDT)

They are usually pretty tight and that's where the puller comes in. A bit of heat can help to move a stuck bearing, but be careful not to burn yourself if you put the puller on after heating it (BTDT)
If you heat a bearing over 100C it’s cooked and needs replacing.
As an alternative I would pull on the wheel and with pin punch give the spindle a good tap with a copper hammer. Pullers are great, but sometimes the wheels are made of cheese.

If you heat a bearing over 100C it’s cooked and needs replacing.
As an alternative I would pull on the wheel and with pin punch give the spindle a good tap with a copper hammer. Pullers are great, but sometimes the wheels are made of cheese.
Thanks Tris and Deema, Ive ordered a leg puller and also been on the SKF site which explains the deep groove ballbearing and and how to remove one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Managed to get the flywheel off with the leg puller, see attached. Just waiting for the replacement drive belt then hopefully I(ll get it back on again. Tried contacting Metebo after sales but vo reply. No clues given as to how to change the drive belt, and certainly no mention of a legpuller!
Thanks again.

Managed to get the flywheel off with the leg puller, see attached. Just waiting for the replacement drive belt then hopefully I(ll get it back on again. Tried contacting Metebo after sales but vo reply. No clues given as to how to change the drive belt, and certainly no mention of a legpuller!
Thanks again.

Hold your horses! You don’t take the bottom wheel off the shaft you take the wheel and shaft out if the machine as one unit, Do not try pulling the wheel off the shaft, you will be entering a whole world of pain.

@Sideways and I documented refurbishing a S45 bandsaw, in which we go through how to remove the wheel and shaft and how to set it back up afterwards. The arrangement of your bandsaw is the same.

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/scm-minimax-s45-bandsaw-teardown-overhaul.135069/
Will that be an easier job?

Will that be an easier job?
Update on fitting the drive belt. I removed the flywheel with the leg puller, fitted the belt and refitted the flywheel. Struggled to tension the belt, so left it for a day or so, and it has been really hot here, so tried again this morning to relocate the motor, and I managed it thanks to the ambient temperature. Tip on refitting the deep groove ballbearing, use a socket the same diameter as the outer ring and a mallet. Hit the outer ring and the inner ring follows.

Latest posts

Back