Help : What's this moulding profile called?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
All,

I'm remaking some windows and I would like to use the same profile as on the old windows. Based on the measurements I can take it looks like below. It's not a big profile so I'm hoping I can find a router cutter to match.

Thanks

Fitz
1720707781491.png

IMG_5014.jpeg

Lambs Tongue, I believe The glazing bars can be quite interesting if they are made narrower, as it removes that little step at the end.

Last edited:
Lambs Tongue, I believe The glazing bars can be quite interesting if they are made narrower, as it removes that little step at the end.
Amazing, I’d not got that far in my thinking yet, but having walked to the window you’re spot on.
IMG_5015.jpeg

It's not a big profile so I'm hoping I can find a router cutter to match.
If you had a spindle molder then you could get the exact match and for not much more than a router cutter, @deema knows all about custom cutters for the spindle and has done a good write up to.

Last edited:
If making one sash then I might use a router bit, if making more then go for a spindle moulder.
This enables you to manipulate the rebate depth if using a 96mm head in conjunction with a 125mm rebate head and also you can do the scribes/ tenons easy peasy as well.

I have made several windows with this router bit set https://www.cmtorangetools.com/na-en/industrial-router-bits/window-sash-router-bit-sets
But it is a complete faff compared to doing it on a spindle. I would say it takes twice as long if not more.

As niall Y said the bars can be tricky, I set up a guide like a tunnel to pass them through (on the spindle), do all of them one side then add a shim the thickness of the step to the bed of the moulder on the outfeed side so it supports them. Use a push stick !!

Ollie

Last edited:
Speak to Brigg Taylor at Profile Design Tooling 07960 532507. He made a set of cutters and limiters for me from a drawing and photograph. In Whitehill B size. The service is second to none. From order to delivery 2 days.
Nigel.

If making one sash then I might use a router bit, if making more then go for a spindle moulder.
This enables you to manipulate the rebate depth if using a 96mm head in conjunction with a 125mm rebate head and also you can do the scribes/ tenons easy peasy as well.

I have made several windows with this router bit set https://www.cmtorangetools.com/na-en/industrial-router-bits/window-sash-router-bit-sets
But it is a complete faff compared to doing it on a spindle. I would say it takes twice as long if not more.

As niall Y said the bars can be tricky, I set up a guide like a tunnel to pass them through (on the spindle), do all of them one side then add a shim the thickness of the step to the bed of the moulder on the outfeed side so it supports them. Use a push stick !!

Ollie
The sash router sets are not far off the profile but they only work for sashes up to 40mm thick. My sashes are 50mm thick to work with the existing boxes.

A spindle has been on the cards for a while, and I was hanging my nose over the one Imageel had for sale hence his comment, but Essex to Aberdeen for a 300kg+ lump turned out to be quite difficult/expensive, who'd a guessed ;)

Speak to Brigg Taylor at Profile Design Tooling 07960 532507. He made a set of cutters and limiters for me from a drawing and photograph. In Whitehill B size. The service is second to none. From order to delivery 2 days.
Nigel.
Thanks for the link, I may well up going this route.

Brigg is a really nice guy, very accommodating and in an emergency armed with a Starbucks and biscuits made profiles while I waited. His carbide cutters for when making long runs are very affordable. But don’t tell anyone about him, he’s a one man business and only has so much capacity !!

The chant could be heard ‘ Spindle, Spindle, from the river to the sea a Spindle is what it has to be!’😂😂

Pretty sure it's a Whitehill off the shelf job for the lambstongue and it's scribe.
If its common enough for CMT to do a router set in that pattern then pretty sure whitehill will have one.
The catalogue is online.

I know it sounds bonkers, but it’s cheaper to get Brigg to make a custom set than buy an off the shelf 55mm from Whitehill.
That does indeed seem bonkers, but I did notice whitehill got a bit expensive last time I bought some custom ones. I spent over a grand, the best discount they could do was free delivery and it took nearly a month to get them.

Another way to save a few pennies is to use the 96mm by 30mm head for the moulding so the blanks are smaller.

Ollie

Wealden tools offer this in a router cutter set. I've made probably 60 odd sashes with mine and it's still cutting well.

I find the making of the mould/scribe to be the easy bit. The area around the centre rails is the tricky area(unless your just pinning on the taper/step) it's essentially four different joints repeated twice. Well suited to making by hand but quite annoying by machine.

Back