Hammer Handle Wedges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing a few hammer handles on some of the old hammers I have inherited.
Can anybody point me to what the dimensions of the hammer handle wedges are please?
They come in sizes 00 to 5 and some companies only sell in boxes of 100 (which I do not want!).

Do the sheds sell them?

Rod

Harbo":fiugyk2q said:
Do the sheds sell them?

Rod

Not when I tried to get a replacement handle and wedges- I gave up in the end, because for an old cheap ball pein hammer, it was cheaper to buy another hammer than to pay the postage from ebay! An old fashioned hardware shop will (should) still do them.

Thanks Matthew

The hammers are fairly big jobbies 16oz and 32oz ones - my Great Grandfather was a wheelwright!

PM sent

Rod

A little collection from a bootfair many moons past....

DSC_0767.JPG

If any would be of use to you Rod...PM me your address and I will post.

They go 4 to 1 (L-R)

Jim

Rod, if you're replacing the handles, those who know tell me you can just use a wooden wedge lengthways - only when that starts to loosen will you need to fit a metal wedge crosswise. Having said which, I'd fancy both on a 32oz head I think...!

Wooden wedges I can make so if the metal ones go cross wise than they will have to be quite small?

Rod

Always used hard wood wedges and a dab of water proof glue on mine, rarely does a local farmer come back wanting a Hammer or Axe handle tightened before the whole thing is firewood fodder. Perhaps that's more down to the usual practice of dunking them in a water trough if they hear them ringing.

As you might gather not exactly fine cabinet makers tools though.

A slight deviation if I may..

I need to replace a handle on a hammer, purely sentimental value, what wood beside Hickory could I use? I do have some Hickory but I don't think it's wide enough, could I laminate it or would that be a bad idea with it being a hammer an all?

I know it's a long way to go for them but if you happen to be in France they are readily available from the DIY Sheds over here eg

Hammer Wedges

Note to self... must get around to replacing the handles I bought the wedges for 3 years ago :oops:

Andy

studders":2q70p4i0 said:
A slight deviation if I may..

I need to replace a handle on a hammer, purely sentimental value, what wood beside Hickory could I use? I do have some Hickory but I don't think it's wide enough, could I laminate it or would that be a bad idea with it being a hammer an all?
Hickory is the No1 choice for hammer and tool shaft handles generally (pick axes, mattocks etc) but decent straight grained ash will also do the job and no, I wouldn't laminate it if it were me - Rob

Hello,

Any straight grained piece of wood from a species with high bending/tensile strength would suffice for a handle. Ash, Black locust, elm etc. I am with Chas: double wedging the handle with wooden wedges is quite reliable solution, even without glue.

Have a nice day,

János

I ordered some handles from Toolsfastdirect.
Straight grained Hickory
They cost £1.38 to £2 odd - hardly worth bothering to make them for that?
Should be delivered tomorrow so I will report back as to quality.

Rod

They certainly do the handle I need but I just fancied having a go myself, still.. will be useful if make a upballs of it, ta for the link.

Edit. Don't know if it's my browser but almost everything I've looked at on that site says 'out of stock' ?

Latest posts

Back