Found in the shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phill05

Established Member
Reaction score
Been tidying up again and found my old knife from my younger days, When I was a kid I used to work on a farm and the old granddad gave my this knife to use I carried it and used it all my working life then put away and forgot till today.
I remember the hook was very handy, and the pointed square I used to make a hole in the leather for repairs of the tack.

IMG_20240917_1123514.jpg

IMG_20240917_1123213.jpg

And can you remember these:

IMG_20240917_1124259.jpg

Been tidying up again and found my old knife from my younger days, When I was a kid I used to work on a farm and the old granddad gave my this knife to use I carried it and used it all my working life then put away and forgot till today.
I remember the hook was very handy, and the pointed square I used to make a hole in the leather for repairs of the tack.

View attachment 188272

View attachment 188271

And can you remember these:

View attachment 188273
Must have felt good to find your old knife? How do the shoe studs attach to shoe or boot?

Yes it did feel good bought back a lot of memories.

On the old boots they had thick soles so to save wearing them out you used to nail them into the sole in different places you put larger ones on the heels and smaller ones on the rest you just hit them in with a hammer.

Yes they were a casting that had nails as part of the casting, can’t say we ever put them on the soles though, heels only for us boys, and once we had them in position we just jumped up and down on our our heels.
I thought it was our slang that we called them Segs, but there it is on the packet.

In a similar vein I saw a Victorian coachman's knife advertised on the internet recently. It was a glorious thing with antler knife scales and a tamper for ones pipe . The only downside was that the vendor wanted over £1000 for it :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
In a similar vein I saw a Victorian coachman's knife advertised on the internet recently. It was a glorious thing with antler knife scales and a tamper for ones pipe . The only downside was that the vendor wanted over £1000 for it :ROFLMAO:
Thanks Nial Y:
I just went looking online and found one nearly same as mine, I had two leather sewing needles in my knife. And I still have them safe.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antique 1860's Walker & Hall Horseman's or Coachman's Horn Handle Pocket Knife Both blades are very heavily used. One has decent snap but the other has none. Amazingly it still has the toothpick and the tweezers. There are a few chips in the horn handle scales.overall length open: 5-1/4" main blade length: 1-11/16" closed length: 3-11/16"Condition as pictured
knife.JPG

Yes they were a casting that had nails as part of the casting, can’t say we ever put them on the soles though, heels only for us boys, and once we had them in position we just jumped up and down on our our heels.
I thought it was our slang that we called them Segs, but there it is on the packet.

Segs and IIRC Blakeys were the biggest names. I remember kids at school putting their feet down while riding bicycles trying to make sparks.

Latest posts

Back