Food safe ca glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cally60

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to fill a small hole (anout 1-2mm diameter) and crack on the inside of a walnut bowl that I have made. Intended use is as a salad bowl, so it will have direct contact with food, and vinaigrette dressing, which will obviously have a vinegar content.
The question is, which ca glue is suitable?

I have no experience in using it but, could you use something like Urushi lacquer which is considered food safe when cured? Mind you ,this could be a rabbit hole ,down which you do not wish to disappear. :LOL:

While I have no science argument to back this up I think the risk would be very low when the CA has cured. May be even less than a lot of woods.
We live surrounded by man made compounds and eat off a lot of them. CA glue is the go to fix for cracks in woodturnings so if it was a health problem we would likely have had some horror stories by now.
Regards
John

While I have no science argument to back this up I think the risk would be very low when the CA has cured. May be even less than a lot of woods.
We live surrounded by man made compounds and eat off a lot of them. CA glue is the go to fix for cracks in woodturnings so if it was a health problem we would likely have had some horror stories by now.
Regards
John
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. There must be crockery in use that is repaired with ca glue. And then there’s wound glue, used medically.
As Lefley says, none of it appears to be approved as food safe

I think the OP is hitting at the fact vinegar likely to be in contact with the finish, and that vinegar degrades CA glue (acetic acid is a CA glue remover).
I have no answer for the OP, but maybe others do with this in mind...

That is part of what I was trying to find out about. Although it would be vinegar diluted with olive oil.
The problem has more or less been resolved by Mrs C deciding to use it as a plant pot holder.

Latest posts

Back