Folding Garage Door - Weather sealing/maintenance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aforjeh

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I'm currently repainting my external windows/doors. As I'm doing it I'm trying to correct a few minor problems...

My garage has a set of wooden folding doors as shown in the photos. There are two 'sets' of two door panels, arranged so that the central two open inwards, and then the final outer two then fold inwards.

Around the sides there is some weather sealing (shown in one of the photos on another door - a sort of loose 'L' profile, but between the doors there isn't any weather seal, other than a vertical wooden 'bar' on the outside.

There is a very slight top-to-bottom bow inwards on all the doors, but it really only seems to be an issue for the central pair where as you can see in the photos it allows light (and therefore wind, rain, etc) through. The external sealing 'bar' between these two is pressed tightly against the opposing door at the top and bottom, but a good 3mm gap in the middle.

It does allow some rain to drive in, and that then sits on the floor under the door. There is a rubber strip on the floor to prevent stuff blowing under the door, but this has the side effect of holding on to any water that drives in, and in winter the doors swell up and are difficult to open/shut.

So - I'd like suggestions on how to fix that gap.

Is there a type of seal that will accomodate the 0-3mm gap, or should I attempt to widen the gap (move some hardware, or remove some material) and get seal to suit that gap?

Or should I attempt to remove the bow in the doors?

Thanks!

Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_9130.jpeg
    IMG_9130.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9113.jpeg
    IMG_9113.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9112.jpeg
    IMG_9112.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9111.jpeg
    IMG_9111.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9110.jpeg
    IMG_9110.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9109.jpeg
    IMG_9109.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9107.jpeg
    IMG_9107.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9106.jpeg
    IMG_9106.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9105.jpeg
    IMG_9105.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9104.jpeg
    IMG_9104.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Had a quick look at various seals and wondered if this would work. https://www.garagedoorpartsuk.co.uk/gliderol-roller-door-bottom-weather-seal.html It's not meant for the side of the door but might work.

Glue and staple down the one door edge. The edges on this seal would hopefully stop it being pushed off by the other door.

Failing that expand the gap slightly and cut a groove (~3mm I think for most) to fit a push in weather seal.

So that seal, if I see it correctly would fit along the edge of the door, not that ‘external bar’? I’d worry it would make the door even more tricky to open/close in winter.

I think maybe planing a little off that bar at the top and bottom to achieve a more even gap, then a push in seal into a groove top to bottom as you suggest might be the best way…

Thanks for the suggestions!

Latest posts

Back