Floor standing pillar drill - ready to purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee J

Established Member
Reaction score
I use a bench mounted pillar drill, nu-tool version. It runs ok and works fine until I try to drill oak and it slows down and stops easily. So I figured I may need to up the power a bit. Anyone use a floor standing powerful pillar drill that I can drill 3" oak with easily? I want to spend around £200 - £300 and dont mind going second hand.

well my current drill takes up to 13mm but I use a 37mm - 45mm forstner bit. Even if I drill it out first with a 10mm and then tidy it up with the 37mm forstner it slows down and stops.

Do you have the drill on its lowest speed set of pulleys? Do you get smoke or burning as you try to drill? There are good and bad forstners on the market - and there's a huge difference in their cutting performance.

Lee J":20npsf25 said:
Lots of smoke, burning. cheapish forstners.
I would say that's the root of your problem - get a decent bit or two and you'll probably not be thinking you need a new drill. :)

+1
I had a Nutools for the best part of 20 years. OK It's not TOTR but it's a perfectly serviceable machine and should cope with what you are asking for with ease.
Sharpen your Forstners, or buy some good Clicos, make sure your drive belt isn't slipping and you will probably not need to buy a new machine (although you still might like the idea of a S/H Meddings or Fobco - both within your budget).
Cheers
Steve

time to get the files out and sit and sharpen those forstners then. although could buy me a couple of good ones and save my day for something interesting.

Back