Finding a chuck for old Sherline wood lathe. 9/16 12 Whitworth.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello.

I have been given an old Sherline wood lathe. I need to find a three, or possibly four jaw chuck to fit it. The protruding spindle is 9 1/16 12 Whit. and extends to the length shown below. I cannot find one to fit. Where can I buy such, or what adaptor could be used to accommodate a readily available chuck please?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4113.jpeg
    IMG_4113.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4115.jpeg
    IMG_4115.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Hi all. In case my question was unclear, I am not seeking a review on this equipment but information as to where to find a chuck … and yes 9/16th as stated both in the title and the post. Thank you.

It is not a great solution, but it might be an option:

The Unimat SL has an M12 x 1 spindle thread. The tapping drill size for 9/16" BSW is 12mm. You could buy a chuck or backplate for the Unimat SL (e.g. https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/soba-4-jaw-self-centering-chuck-50-mm-dia-m12-thread/) and modify to suit.

Modern Unimat uses M14 spindle threads and modern Sherline and Taig (and many other modern wood lathes) use 3/4" UNF so an an adaptor with 9/16 BSW internal and one of those external threads might make the machine usable again (3/4" UNF tapping drill is 11/16" so adaptor would have 1/16" wall thickness).

It has been mentioned here before: there is a company called Beaufort Ink who might make you custom adaptor.

The smaller unthreaded backplate they do for the Versachuck is bored to 5/8th so too large a hole for 9/16th thread.
There is a member here who makes adaptors for the Lidl etc. lathes, he might help if someone can remember his user name.

It is a small technical point, but I understood that Sherline was American (with Australian roots). On that basis, the thread might be 9/16 UNC rather than 9/16 BSW.

It is a small technical point, but I understood that Sherline was American (with Australian roots). On that basis, the thread might be 9/16 UNC rather than 9/16 BSW.
Thank you. I have only measured the thread with a Moore & Wright gauge that is marked ‘WHIT’ on the outer casing … so that’s why I have gone for this. It fits 9/16 12 perfectly so far as I can see. I don’t know anything about the difference between UNC and BSW, without Googling, to know if there could be much of a problem here, so I appreciate your caution. I always use metric now when I get the chance.

It is not a great solution, but it might be an option:

The Unimat SL has an M12 x 1 spindle thread. The tapping drill size for 9/16" BSW is 12mm. You could buy a chuck or backplate for the Unimat SL (e.g. https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/soba-4-jaw-self-centering-chuck-50-mm-dia-m12-thread/) and modify to suit.

Modern Unimat uses M14 spindle threads and modern Sherline and Taig (and many other modern wood lathes) use 3/4" UNF so an an adaptor with 9/16 BSW internal and one of those external threads might make the machine usable again (3/4" UNF tapping drill is 11/16" so adaptor would have 1/16" wall thickness).

It has been mentioned here before: there is a company called Beaufort Ink who might make you custom adaptor.
This may get me started. Much appreciated.

I don’t know anything about the difference between UNC and BSW...

As you say, a thread gauge is not designed for or capable of disinguishing between the two. That is when you have to take an educated guess based on the country of origin.

Another approach is to measure some more of the threads on the machine. BSW and UNC threads share the same tpi apart from 1/2" diameter, so any 1/2" fastener on the machine would give a definitive answer. BSF and UNF (the fine thread series) differ in tpi for every diameter, so any fine thread on the machine would give a definitive answer.

Thank you. I have only measured the thread with a Moore & Wright gauge that is marked ‘WHIT’ on the outer casing … so that’s why I have gone for this. It fits 9/16 12 perfectly so far as I can see. I don’t know anything about the difference between UNC and BSW, without Googling, to know if there could be much of a problem here, so I appreciate your caution. I always use metric now when I get the chance.
The difference between UNC and BSW threads is that the thread angle of a UNC thread is 60 degrees and a BSW thread angle is 55 degrees. If your thread gauge fits perfectly then it looks like you have a Whitworth thread.

I appreciate you do not want a review of the lathe, but might I suggest you do not go spending out on extras for this one. It has very poor reviews and I am sure you will want to upgrade from there, so I would repeat previous comments - get a better lathe and buy the extras for that. If money is tight, don't throw good money after bad. And if you take to turning as hobby, you will want to enjoy it, not tolerate it.

K

Hello.

I have been given an old Sherline wood lathe. I need to find a three, or possibly four jaw chuck to fit it. The protruding spindle is 9 1/16 12 Whit. and extends to the length shown below. I cannot find one to fit. Where can I buy such, or what adaptor could be used to accommodate a readily available chuck please?

Thanks!
How big a chuck would you want? I have a few 3 & 4 jaw chucks from 50mm dia upwards.

I appreciate you do not want a review of the lathe, but might I suggest you do not go spending out on extras for this one. It has very poor reviews and I am sure you will want to upgrade from there, so I would repeat previous comments - get a better lathe and buy the extras for that. If money is tight, don't throw good money after bad. And if you take to turning as hobby, you will want to enjoy it, not tolerate it.

K
I allready suggested this and was sort of told off 🤫

Back