DC 09 Chairs - completion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
The background is the decision to build a larger dining table, one to seat 8 as opposed to the 6 as with the current table ...

Since the new table will have a contemporary, modern design, the carver chairs would fit with this, and the existing vintage bentwood chairs would blend in. My wife and I liked the size of this table (not the design), and were taken with the chairs ...

Here they are from all angles ...

And this is the one I used as a model ...

Now the challenge was to build two chairs as close as possible without any given plans and having to create these and the dimensions from photos on the Internet. All-in-all, I spent some 5 months (of weekends) building these two chairs, in USA Rock Maple (which will be used for the top of the new dining table). I am definitely certifiable.

The build is elsewhere but I shall add a few photos here of the finishing tasks.

The first was that of glueing the arms to the legs. With all the angles, it was not possible to use clamps. My solution was to use packing tape - it has a little flex to pull tighter, and will hold at any angle ...

The second task was to cut the end of the legs square with the floor. The kitchen bench top was a more reliable choice than the workshop floor ...

The chairs were sanded to 240 grit and received a coat of hard wax oil. Tomorrow I will denib this and add a second coat. Here are photos from various angles. How close did I get ...

Thanks for the support along the way.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brilliant, much better than the originals! The important question though, are they comfortable?

Brilliant, much better than the originals! The important question though, are they comfortable?

Fitzroy, they are pretty comfortable. The seats are tilted appropriately, and there is enough scoop. I did a lot of shaping on the back, getting the right angle and amount of flat. There are many details like this that I have not included in the build - just too many finicky bits and pieces for the flow of reading. But in the end I think it works well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

And when the Grandchildren come to visit Derek you’re going to need one of these, but made by you obviously.
I saw this and the similarities are striking, I immediately thought of your chairs.
Ian

Attachments

• 5B42DCDE-EA6A-40B1-942C-1B852113F2A2.jpeg
    5B42DCDE-EA6A-40B1-942C-1B852113F2A2.jpeg
    653.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 5DE6A586-0F63-4E5E-8D2A-B7B26E81B869.jpeg
    5DE6A586-0F63-4E5E-8D2A-B7B26E81B869.jpeg
    625.8 KB · Views: 0
Back