Compressed air nail puller? Any reviews?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please link to the one you have found.

If it is the one I am thinking of, it does not pull, it pushes with a punching action. Hence it is like a nail gun inasmuch as a piston driven by the air moves with a high velocity, striking the nail, causing it to move.

If you have found one that actually pulls the nails, please link to it.

Please link to the one you have found.

If it is the one I am thinking of, it does not pull, it pushes with a punching action. Hence it is like a nail gun inasmuch as a piston driven by the air moves with a high velocity, striking the nail, causing it to move.

If you have found one that actually pulls the nails, please link to it.
Quite right @ChaiLatte - though the function is to 'pull' nails from the wood.
Lots of Chinese rebrands in that price rane.

Never used one myself but remember Rag n Bone Brown doing a quick review of one, looked okay.

A bit holder? To drive nails out?

You see in the link that it says "with-drive-guide-sleeve"? That is the crucial aspect of that one. Think how that sliding sleeve mimics the barrel of the air powered one in which the piston slides. Go on, risk £1.99 and try it.

I have an Air Locker AP700 - like this one. I have removed several thousand nails with it (think 3 builders buckets full) from a large roof that was replaced. These were old and rusty nails that would have been difficult to remove any other way. Works really well. You need to wear eye protection because it can fire them out pretty fast. Have tried it on ring shank nails used in pallets also.

Only issue I've had with it has been that the piston has jammed a couple of times due to needle sharp nails getting between the piston and barrel. I think this is unlikely to happen on more modern nails but I had to buy a new piston for mine (which was not too expensive (£15 IIRC). Quite difficult to un jam but OK once you figure out how.

You see in the link that it says "with-drive-guide-sleeve"? That is the crucial aspect of that one. Think how that sliding sleeve mimics the barrel of the air powered one in which the piston slides. Go on, risk £1.99 and try it.
I have one - how I'd use it to pull nails I just can't think. No 'push', simply the turning movement?

I think the idea is to hold the sleeve so that it's around the head of the nail, have some sort of bit inside the tube to transfer the force and then just take a deep breath and belt the end of the hex shank with a hammer (Estwing :) )
Pretty much a guided pin punch.

I think the idea is to hold the sleeve so that it's around the head of the nail, have some sort of bit inside the tube to transfer the force and then just take a deep breath and belt the end of the hex shank with a hammer (Estwing :) )
Pretty much a guided pin punch.
Makes more sense - tks @Sideways - as you say, cheaper than an air puller (pusher?)
[Does that mean I have to replace my 52 yo Stanley hammer with an estwing? Oh no ;-) ]

Latest posts

Back