Cleats for a smallish shelf unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brocher

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I am making a small shelf unit to hold some of my mum's tea set. It will be 6 saucers and side plates and 6 cups. It's not that big or weighty as such. Dimensions approximately 85cm wide by 45cm high and approx 8 or 9cm deep.

I am thinking a French cleat would be best and have come across this model from Sisi UK. - https://sisiukltd.com/products/heav...r-french-cleat-1000mm-floating-hanging-system

Do you think this would be a good idea? The unit will have a back board to it so the cleat will be hidden.

Thanks

I am making a small shelf unit to hold some of my mum's tea set. It will be 6 saucers and side plates and 6 cups. It's not that big or weighty as such. Dimensions approximately 85cm wide by 45cm high and approx 8 or 9cm deep.

I am thinking a French cleat would be best and have come across this model from Sisi UK. - https://sisiukltd.com/products/heav...r-french-cleat-1000mm-floating-hanging-system

Do you think this would be a good idea? The unit will have a back board to it so the cleat will be hidden.

Thanks
Specs say it can hold up to 40kg so should be ok but the top of unit won't sit flush to the wall so will tilt forward slightly

Specs say it can hold up to 40kg so should be ok but the top of unit won't sit flush to the wall so will tilt forward slightly
Thanks. Yes I saw that in the spec, so am thinking I will recess the part which of the cleat which attaches to the shelf unit so that I can ensure it fits flush to the wall. I will be rebating the back board so that the cleat is hidden and can still engage with the part which is screwed to the wall.

Hope that makes sense.

French cleats are widely used by woodworkers as a very practical way to hang things. You can even make your own from wood or ply. As your's will be be holding china make sure the cleat anchors into the wall frame as I would not trust plasterboard alone.
Regards
John

French cleats are widely used by woodworkers as a very practical way to hang things. You can even make your own from wood or ply. As your's will be be holding china make sure the cleat anchors into the wall frame as I would not trust plasterboard alone.
Regards
John
Thanks. It will into a brick wall, so that should be OK

Latest posts

Back