Cheltenham

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Just got back from Cheltenham (filthy driving, not helped by a flat tyre on the motorway on the way down :(), but worth every mile.

As usual, Betty Norbury has brought together a host of talented makers from the venerables like Andrew Varah, David Savage and Robert Ingham to newbies including a guy who only makes as a hobby and has produced the most amazing fold-up jewellery box I've ever seen. Fantastic, and I'm sorry to say I didn't get his name. If I find it I'll edit this post.

There was also a trio of young girlie woodies called New Leaf showing the lads how it should be done. I don't think that there was a single piece there that I didn't think was superbly made (although, of course, some begged the question Why? rather than How?). All in all a most enjoyable experience and inspirational from the moment one steps through the door. And I have Betty's new book to drool over for the next few weeks, too.

Open until BHM, get there if you can.

Cheers
Steve

I've just returned from Cheltenham and I too had to buy the book - great inspiration. SWMBO went one better and actually bought a piece (small). She says my work rate is too slow... and she can't wait for me to make everything she wants. By showing her the work of these great craftsmen I think I've set myself an additional hurdle to getting her commisions - quality :roll:

Wonderful craftsmanship but like Steve I found myself wondering "why" rather a lot. I'd like to visit again but this time with Jacob :lol:

I went yesterday. I found it quite inspiring.
As to "why?", I think that a lot of makers are showing what they can do, rather than what they will normally do. Just as you might put more effort into a workbench than is really necessary.

I was also pleased to pull out a few drawers and see dovetails that had been sawn well beyond the marked line. I don't think I could do any better, but I think it shows that even the best makers have strengths and weaknesses.

My only slight objection is the notices that ask you not to touch the items. I ignored these, and thankfully the staff, including Betty, seemed to overlook my transgressions. What is the point of furniture that you cannot touch?

I look forward to going again next year.

It was the small round table that would cause death by stabwound if one stumbled on it which bothered me most.

David C

Do not touch signs ??? :shock:

No wonder some of the other punters looked askance as SWMBO lay down on Robert Ingham's "Wave Length". :oops: and turned a small table upside down :roll:

David C":4bo77mf4 said:
It was the small round table that would cause death by stabwound if one stumbled on it which bothered me most.

David C

Sounds like the ideal Christmas present for my mother-in-law, what was the catalogue number?

Latest posts

Back