Cheltenham Celebration of Craftsmanship & Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wandering... There used to be a fantastic annual exhibition in Cheltenham called Celebration of Craftsmanship & Design, it always had on display the most amazing and beautiful furniture and boxes. It seemed to just disappear around the time of the pandemic (for obvious reasons I suppose). It was originally put on by a woman called Betty Norbury and then in later years taken over by a guy called Jason Heap. It always had 'big names' exhibiting like Waywood, Robert Ingham, John Makepeace etc.
I was just wandering if anyone remembers this and if there are any suggestions of other similar exhibitions anywhere in the UK?
Any suggestions very much appreciated.
Many thanks

(Sorry to be pedantic but it’s wondering) yes I remember it well, some quite wonderful work, I remember a small hexagonal box with lift up lids, it was exquisite. Sorry though don’t have any further info. Ian

I certainly remember them having been to 17 or 18 over the years of its existence; easy for me being a local. I was able to attend on the opening preview evenings courtesy of invitations to my mate Bill who never wanted to go so he passed them over to me. He never did find out why he was on the invitation list. The Friday evenings were a test of stamina to get round all the exhibits as the hall became very hot and crowded only tempered by a glass of bucks fizz. Talking to the makers was an interesting experience. The real object of the exercise, as far as the makers were concerned, was to sell their exhibits or gain commissions. Once they realised I was a fellow maker and wanting to talk shop, they turned off.
After many years of hot Friday evenings I turned to Saturday mornings when most of the makers were still there and happy to talk shop in the absence of sales prospects. I remarked to one maker that I regarded my efforts as a self financing hobby to which he replied 'I think most of us are in that boat'.
The concept of Betty and Ian (Google him for his outstanding carvings) Norbury was that they would take a commission on sales and make a bit on Jo Public entrance ticket sales. However over the years the income dwindled making the whole enterprise unviable. Jason Heap thought he could revive it by appealing to a younger clientèle but he only managed 3 (I think it was 3) before he also threw in the towel.
I don't think we'll see anything like it again. Makers now sell their craftsmanship on t'internet where they can permanently exhibit and keep their presence up to date.
Brian

I used to go to this exhibition, it was always great to see really fine work in the flesh, rather than in pictures.
Being able to look how things were constructed and sometimes chat to the artists and makers was always great.
I do miss it.

We went for many years it was a lovely day out with some wonderful furniture especially nice in the latter years meeting up with friends who were exhibiting, sad that it never got going again after the pandemic.

Back