Carvings on turnings?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I’ve been offered a lathe but I am a carver by inclination. Obviously I didn’t turn down the lathe but I was wondering about combining the two. Anyone able to point me in the direction of carvings on turnings? Be nice to get some inspiration.

All of my turnings get some carving done to them. Sometimes to add a little decoration for interest and sometimes the carving is the main element. There is plenty to see on youtube.

I love Chris Pye- his books and articles were very helpful when I started carving.

Steliz, whose videos would you particularly recommend?

I hate to paste FB links because I avoid it like the plague but sadly the magnificent "the daniel collection" no longer has a proper website and only a facebook page.
No - I just didn't try hard enough to find it ! Find the link further down.
Every woodturner should know about this collection.

https://www.facebook.com/TheDanielCollection/?locale=en_GB

Last edited:
I did a bit of carving years ago, no great expertise, but do turn wood and occasionally add carved decoration. I suspect most woodturners who sell (hence time=money) avoid carving because it slows the process down. The book referred to above is good - I stumbled on a copy in a charity shop and it was 30p well spent.

Carving and colouring complement each other. I think colouring is often over-used, "let the wood be wood," but sometimes it's the right thing to do especially if the wood is bland. 2 starting points for early attempts. Make a wide rimmed bowl or platter, face it off but don't hollow out the centre yet. One way is to spray the rim with ebonising lacquer and carve through it, you get great contrast. The other way is to carve and then colour, then take a very light cut off the face so the colour is only in the carved bits. In both cases if you hollow out the bowl centre and maybe the edge of the rim after colouring you get nice crisp edges.

If you take a part-made item out of a lathe chuck it rarely goes back perfectly so its best to take the chuck off the lathe with the item in it. It gives you a handy holder for the carving process and depending on the design of the chuck you can often hold it in a normal bench vice. It can be put back on the lathe easily for finishing

Lime (Tilia, Linden etc) is favoured by carvers and does turn OK - not my favourite and it can be a bit dusty - but might be a good place to start.

You can borrow ideas from ceramics. Sgraffito is the technique of adding a glaze then cutting or marking through it before firing. Sometimes many layers of colour. Shapes can be more fluid than carving because there is no grain direction to worry about but many are geometric. A google (or search engine of choice) for Sgrafitto Ware images will bring you more ideas than you will make in several lifetimes.

Main thing - enjoy.

Well done, thanks!

Anyway, with that to inspire you, now you know that the combination of turning plus carving / texturing , and maybe even some colouring makes for some of the best work out there.

Go for it !

Latest posts

Back