Blind instrument maker in training in need of help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Hey guys.

Ok I'm a newby to this list but a skilled woodworker and tooling dood. I'm 23 and totally blind. I took up woodworking and machining from the age of 16 and love nothing more than getting my hands dirty and designing things in wood and metal.

At present after some years of study, I decided to take up instrument making but have hit a bit of a problem. my instrument making tutor and friend tells me that for my training etc I need a good but old metal turning lathe for precision work and some tool making including the reamers and drills. etc. I'm starting my training as an uilleann pipe maker as its a chance of a new career for me.

so thought I'd ask around to see if anyone may have an old redundant matal turning lathe that would help me to get into a new life as a pipe maker. My friend is a well known uilleann pipe maker from yorkshire and is teaching me all the skills, helping me to adapt tools and jigs for certain work including drilling the chanter keys and more.

so if someone here on this list could help me with an old metal lathe in any condition that would be great. sadly I dont have any money to play with as I've had to raise money for other tools that are needed etc so at present and with no work etc to bring in money I'm a bit stuck

if anyone could forward this email to people that could help or if someone could help me with say the possibility of donation of a metal lathe to help me I'd really appreciate it.

distance between centres would need to be about 20 inches. other than that anything would help at all

lewis
07857 352828

What an inspiration to the rest of us who just have to put up with the odd aches and pains of age :D

Can't offer a lathe, I'm afraid, as my Myford is too useful to part with. But a couple of suggestions.
1. I don't know if it operates in North Wales, but there is a site called Freecycle where people offer stuff for free (naturally) and on our local one there was recently a very old Myford offered, so such things do appear. They also take "wanted" ads, so if you have a local version, it would be worth putting up one, explaining your circumstances.
2. There is a national site called homeworkshop.org, run for model makers, where most of the stuff is for sale, but the folks who post there are incredibly helpful and a wanted ad might produce the goods.

hi there

I first tried freecycle a while back and have kept trying but with no luck sadly

will look at the site you have given me. thank you for your help.

myfords sound like amazing lathes from what research I have done on them.

I started learning on a rather large 5 ft between centres boxford. well I think it was anyway. I remember the plate which I could feel saying boxford. cant remember the model. but wow what a machine.

lew

Welcome Lewis - this site will keep you amused/informed for many happy hours.

Woody

Welcome to the forum Lewis. Nice to see people doing a craft especially when it is a real challenge to do so. I've got bad eye sight, I see around 20% to 30% depending on light conditions and how tired I am. My grandfather was blind and also a craftsman (although I don't exactly know the exact things he made, he died when I was little)

I can't help you with a lathe. Besides it would be a bit expensive to ship it from the Netherlands to your place.

check you personal messages Lew, sorry it's not about a lathe but you ay find it useful :wink:

graham. you mentioned that there was a personal message for me relating to the list. however it is not found. please resend or notify me on list. I hope its something good and not abuse. cheers

thank you all so far for your kindness and words of encouragement. life as a blind turner is actually fun, nothing like the feel of a spinning piece of wood as you cut into it. nothing like carving your way through a gorgious piece of oak or doing anything. the smell, the feel, the project when its finished. wow a dream I love lol

if I could somehow find an old metal turning lathe I could make the tools and complete my instrument training. woopee lol

have fun all. just remember. spread joy around the world and joy will come back with a smile to you

lew

lol yep voiceover on OS X as a screen reader is amazingly powerful and a life saver. its got me through a heck of a lot of stuff my friend.

so you were educated in worcester? college for the blind? or are you a fully sighted person? lew

its good to actually be on a list where I'm not abused by idiots for once. some good people on here. the more the merrier lol

I've been a mac user since I was 9 and went through a good few. earlier this year about january or so I ended up selling virtually everything I own for the mac system so I could have something that doesnt cost £1000 a year to maintain. now this mac costs nothing to maintain lol

lew

It was number one son who was at Worcester, yes, I'm sighted with a little help from specsavers :lol:

for some of my stuff (<2mm diameter by 6mm long!) I need me specs :wink:

I recently bought eldest son a set of U P practice set from Bagpipes Galore in Edinburgh... all plastic but just about playable.

I have plans for a set of smallpipes but can't make up me mind whether to go for them or make something like Gibson's Firesides but I'm in no rush.

Will you be using African blackwood or trying other timbers? I've made a few pieces from Delrin (Polypenco) but it's a frustrating material to work with!

graham. contact me off list at [email protected] we can discuss some recommended timbers etc. my tutor recommends a good couple of woods etc.

lew

thank you kindly YorkieT for your words of encouragement and positivity. I am sure that some day someone may be able to assist me to achieve the impossible.

joining this list and talking to many a kind soul from the day I joined has filled me with hope and some form of happiness.

the art of a blind woodworker and metalworker is rather fun. many months after becoming blind, I decided to take on a bit of private tuitalage in brazing and welding with gas equipment. there is nothing like the feel of working with an Oxy propane set for brazing steels etc in a controlled environment. its a tool I miss and someday I wish or hope to find an old set that would help in the making of these pipes. brazing plays a major part in the making of uilleann pipes when making the tubes, keys and more.

lewy

lewisjbrock":3b0aq93e said:
thank you kindly YorkieT for your words of encouragement and positivity. I am sure that some day someone may be able to assist me to achieve the impossible.

joining this list and talking to many a kind soul from the day I joined has filled me with hope and some form of happiness.

the art of a blind woodworker and metalworker is rather fun. many months after becoming blind, I decided to take on a bit of private tuitalage in brazing and welding with gas equipment. there is nothing like the feel of working with an Oxy propane set for brazing steels etc in a controlled environment. its a tool I miss and someday I wish or hope to find an old set that would help in the making of these pipes. brazing plays a major part in the making of uilleann pipes when making the tubes, keys and more.

lewy

Amazing mate, I am fully sighted although my wife would disagree :roll: and I struggle brazing in poor light ( working in pub cellars etc ).

To think that some people give up on life due to the smallest of set backs! well done Lewis, long may you continue to find enjoyment in your new found skills.

Welcome from me too Lewy, keep on doing what you're doing mate, you are a pioneer for blind woodworkers, so don't let anything get in your way.
Regards Kevin. :)

Hiya Lew. Have you made contact with Jim Carroll at all, He was on here a few weeks ago lookingfor where he could get some piece of equipment for his lathe . He makes Uileann pipes as a buisness. He is in the Nothingham area if I rember rightly. He has his own web site perhaps you might get some info. from him. And a belated welcome to the site Fine helpful bunch of people. But as they say There Is Always One and I may be it . Good luck in your search sorry I cant help you. Regards Boysie

Hi there Lewis. Inspirational stuff !
I wish you all the very best with your endeavours.

I'll ask my company's factory down in Southend tomorrow ( its a machine shop manufacturing precision instrumentation fittings in 316 Stainless, Monel, Hastelloy, Inconel & Incoloy , duplex and super-duplex stainless and titanium. )

Being a little 'satellite' up here in Aberdeen, I don't know for sure what may be lying around down there, but I'll certainly ask the question, and revert with whatever info results.

All the best for the moment,

Alun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back