Big disc sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MathijsH

Reaction score
Hi!

7 years ago a bought a big (I think Dutch) disc sander. After some electrical issues it is finally running. But. I have no clue how to get the sandpaper on. It seems to be with a ring, but I am unable to figure out how to loosen it (if it has to be loosened). Does anybody have an idea? Help very welcomed!

Thank you. And a good day.

Mathijs

Attachments

• IMG_6908.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Hi!

7 years ago a bought a big (I think Dutch) disc sander. After some electrical issues it is finally running. But. I have no clue how to get the sandpaper on. It seems to be with a ring, but I am unable to figure out how to loosen it (if it has to be loosened). Does anybody have an idea? Help very welcomed!

Thank you. And a good day.

Mathijs
Self adhesive discs?

Maybe adhesive backed pads where you clean the face and then they stick to the disc, maybe you could find a hook & loop backing pad to use hook and loop disc which are more convenient.

Self adhesive discs?
Thanks for your reply! I would like not to use self adhesive discs. The previous owner told me there was a guy in the workshop who used to get the paper on and of (without adhesive)… so figured trying to find the non sticky way first.

It is difficult to see how a perimeter ring could be used with a flat sheet/disk of sandpaper. If you had to bend it over the edge of the disk so the ring could clamp it, it will crumple up.

Even if you cannot remove the ring right now, you have to have in mind what you would do if you did remove it (in other words think through the process start to finish not just one step at a time).

What is the manufacturer and have you looked for a manual for hte machine?

I have a smaller disc sander, 200mm dia and it uses sticky back discs, which have never been a problem. It is possible that the ring is there to keep fingers out!

Anyone else think that stain line running through the centre looks like it may have been made by double sided tape?

Whatever we think, you would need to develop a plausible method of how it could help to retain a circular disk of abrasive over its full area.

One diametric line of tape ain't gonna do a lot other than result in a lot of flapping.

Whatever we think, you would need to develop a plausible method of how it could help to retain a circular disk of abrasive over its full area.

One diametric line of tape ain't gonna do a lot other than result in a lot of flapping.
I once used my neighbour's industrial disc sander. The paper was curling off the backing disc. It flattened at speed.

Back