Bathroom cabinet...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victorthesecond

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. My son has asked if I can help him. He's big into trying to avoid buying ready-made / IKEA type furniture and has asked me that, if he finds a bathroom sink at a reclamation yard, would I be able to build a bathroom cabinet / sink unit from reclaimed wood? I don't mind having a go at the cabinet, but could just do with some advice on how to "sink" the sink into the wooden top that it will have on it. I guess, if I bought a brand new sink, it would come with a template of some sort so I could cut out the exact size into a worktop but a reclaimed one won't have that luxury!

Any tips or advice would be very welcome, thank you!

Mike

Put the basin upside down on the wooden top, draw round it, reduce the apature by the amount of overhang of the basin & then cut it out with a jigsaw etc.
If you don’t want to mark the top use masking tape prior to drawing round the basin.

Just doing something similar, Mahogany sideboard type thing, people are giving them away here. I’m giving the top 3 coats of Yacht Varnish prior to fastening the basin down, it’s a new one so fixings come with it. Sort of a Neoprene gasket, I wonder if double sided glazing neoprene type strip could be used in your situation? Scarf joint the join though.
Ian

The trend that I see a lot of now is for the sink to sit/perch on the top of the unit, rather than set in, all you need to do is cut a hole for the waste and the tap.

I did one last week for an oval bowl to be let in to a £££ Porcelonosa wall unit, did it just as @Doug B outlined.

Or the other option is have a cut out in the worktop top for a basin, like this:

sink.jpg

But hopefully doing a neater job, not sure of the particular tool used in this instance but a chainsaw comes to mind, and no, it wasn't done by me, a pal of mine does insurance work and had "Chippy" do it, ended up replacing the whole unit by the time he'd finished mullering it.

Back