AXMINSTER WORKSHOP 100MM DUST COLLECTION CYCLONE SEPARATOR KIT 107756

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't used one, but it won't give you more oomph, in fact it will reduce your oomph because you're introducing another restriction in the suction line. However, it will keep your filter cleaner thus giving you less oomph but for longer periods between filter cleaning.
Brian

If you do get one, please tell us about it. My impression is that design is one of the least efficient at separating out the finer stuff. The heavy dust will drop out but a Thien baffle or proper cyclone will take out much more of the fine stuff that will go on to clog your filter anyway.
It's as Brian says and I think you should expect something in the order of 15 to 25% pressure drop (loss of suction) when you put a separator in line.

I haven't used one, but it won't give you more oomph, in fact it will reduce your oomph because you're introducing another restriction in the suction line. However, it will keep your filter cleaner thus giving you less oomph but for longer periods between filter cleaning.
Brian
Sorry, I didn't tell the whole story.

I've previously been using a Lidl vac through a 50mm cyclone, which did the job admirably until it ran out of brush last week and expired.

I've acquired a 1.5 horse vac with a four inch intake. This will free up my 50mm cyclone for a portable bin/vac once I find a suitably priced 4 inch cyclone or the above mentioned kit.

If you do get one, please tell us about it. My impression is that design is one of the least efficient at separating out the finer stuff. The heavy dust will drop out but a Thien baffle or proper cyclone will take out much more of the fine stuff that will go on to clog your filter anyway.
It's as Brian says and I think you should expect something in the order of 15 to 25% pressure drop (loss of suction) when you put a separator in line.
It doesn't look that great to me hence my asking for advice.

I've acquired a 1.5 horse vac with a four inch intake. This will free up my 50mm cyclone for a portable bin/vac once I find a suitably priced 4 inch cyclone for the above mentioned kit.

Vacuum cleaners aren't usually described in terms of horespower. Makes me think you mean a high volume low pressure dust/chip extractor.
Those don't make much suction and rely on smooth, short duct to get their best airflow.
Be aware that adding a cyclone of any type will noticeably affect it.

@Aligish comment above, a 3hp extractor is 2.2kW. That size should be paired with probably 6" pipe for maximum airflow. Fed though a 100mm cyclone it's being seriously crippled compared to what it's capable of, but it is much more powerful before the losses and if it does what's needed, all's good.

This took me a little while to design, this afternoon.
No great thought went into it, dimension wise. Be interesting to see how it works.
connectors are 100mm.

It's going to take 2 days, 2 hours and 27 minutes to print so the software says.

Then there's the lid and short connector pipe.
cyclone 1.pngcyclone2.png

I don't know what dimensions are, but as you're talking about 3d printing I'd assume it's going to be too small for the job. Axminster sell a cyclone designed for use with chip extractor, but obviously that's much more money

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-ac118ci-cyclone-interceptor-105844
https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-accih-cyclone-interceptor-head-105872
It's about 325mm high plus a 46mm connection, 300mm wide at top and 120mm at the bottom.

I looked at those you linked to, but being a cheapskate, decided to have a go at making my own.

So it's as tall as a £30 oneida and waaay fatter.
Please build it as most all cyclones dont have those proportions and it will be interesting to see if there's good reason for that.
Or just combine 3 dust deputy / dust commander cyclones together in a triangle.... Dyson essentially did the same and probably has a patent.
Q. 3d prints don't have a smooth surface, cyclones do. Will the extra drag on the inside of the cone be a good or bad thing ?

So it's as tall as a £30 oneida and waaay fatter.
Please build it as most all cyclones dont have those proportions and it will be interesting to see if there's good reason for that.
77% completed ATM, so it'll be a while yet.
Or just combine 3 dust deputy / dust commander cyclones together in a triangle.... Dyson essentially did the same and probably has a patent.
You'd need a big duct to feed that, I must look it up.
Q. 3d prints don't have a smooth surface, cyclones do. Will the extra drag on the inside of the cone be a good or bad thing ?
The lines are moving in the same direction as the incoming dust and air, I'm hoping there is little drag. On the other hand if it slows the dust so it falls quicker it could be a good thing.
Maybe I should paint it to smooth it out.
I won't be doing that before I try it out. Way too impatient . :)

I'll watch with interest.
@artie Which 3D printer are you using? It certainly won't go in my Robox: it's too big. Please keep us updated.
Have fun
Martin
It's an Ender 5 plus.

I think I could have made it 450mm high, but I'm not sure it would be any better.

Problem with 3D printing is the speed or lack thereof.

You'd need a big duct to feed that, I must look it up.
Area's a function of diameter squared, dust commander inlets are 50mm dia. You'd need 4 cones to match up with a 100mm duct; maybe 5 because the smaller they are, the more wall resistance reduces the flow.

Three standard dust commander types would be equivalent area to about 86 mm dia inlet so very generous with a 63mm and constricting on a 100mm.

The latest dysons use a ring of tiny cyclones - assuming it's not marketing pseudoscience such an assembly might be better than one big one and will help to keep the length down.

I hope to test it later today

Rather than wait for the "lid" to print I'm going to make a three millimeter clear perspex one.

This will help with my impatience problem and hopefully allow me to see how the dust behaves inside.

Things get in the way but I got around to it today.

It's just tacked together with duct tape and caulk, but it is surprisingly airtight.

So first I took a pic of the empty vac receptacle.

IMG_20240620_135143_903.jpg

Then I botched it together with tape and caulk.

IMG_20240620_144120_529.jpg

I took a short vid of it in action

I put two bucketfuls of sawdust through it.

IMG_20240620_144904_777.jpg

Then took another pic of the vac receptacle

IMG_20240620_144953_110.jpg

There was more in it than I hoped for but I could experiment with a longer or shorter pick up in side the cyclone.

Back