Anyone recognize the brand? B&T GRAY SHEFFIELD (BACKSAW)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentontool

Retired... with no complaints!
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone recognize the brand on this backsaw? B&T GRAY, SHEFFIELD.

01 B&T GRAY SHEFFIELD BACKSAW dsc04575.jpg

01 B&T GRAY SHEFFIELD BACKSAW dsc04584.jpg

01 B&T GRAY SHEFFIELD BACKSAW dsc04587.jpg

01 B&T GRAY SHEFFIELD BACKSAW dsc04589.jpg

Have not heard of them and could not find them either.
Trademarks
Some tool sellers had their names on the tools they sold even if that tool was made by someone else.
Anyhow nice old saw. I do like your saw nut holder and am so going to steal that idea. Somehow until now the idea of them all going back in the holes they came from had not dawned on me.

Regards
John
Edit: wrote this yesterday and just noticed I forgot to post it.

Have not heard of them and could not find them either.
Trademarks
Some tool sellers had their names on the tools they sold even if that tool was made by someone else.
Anyhow nice old saw. I do like your saw nut holder and am so going to steal that idea. Somehow until now the idea of them all going back in the holes they came from had not dawned on me.

Regards
John
Edit: wrote this yesterday and just noticed I forgot to post it.
Thank you, John. The saw nut organizer was not my idea. I found it on one of the many saw restoration YouTube videos that I reviewed. Some think that they might be best returned to the hole from which they came. I am not certain that it is of consequence, but is simple enough to do, so that is the practice I have been pursuing lately.
Yes, nice old saw. Heavy back, nice balance, cuts well now that it is sharp!
BTW, thanks for the link to the trademarks website. I have not seen this one. Great so far!
I am constantly learning from all my Brothers on this site! Alex.

G&T Gray 1849-1929. Simon Barley dates your mark to c1860, but the handle looks newer, maybe a replacement (which might explain why the screws were in backwards)

Hi Please let me know about screws in backwards never heard of this - thank you
Saws were traditionally made so that you see the flat of the screw head when you hold the saw in your right hand with the blade pointing left. (i.e. left side of saw has screw head showing, right side of saw has the nut with its slot for screwdriver showing) This is more obvious on all saws with medallions. Tradition only, with no apparent affect on saw performance.

aha thanks I will keep an eye out on any old saws I bump into - when you think of it and looking at the saw above it would look better with the slot on the other side

Last edited:
aha thanks I will keep an eye out on any old saws I bump into - when you think of it and looking at the saw above it would look better with the slot on the other side

Hi Please let me know about screws in backwards never heard of this - thank you

Saws were traditionally made so that you see the flat of the screw head when you hold the saw in your right hand with the blade pointing left. (i.e. left side of saw has screw head showing, right side of saw has the nut with its slot for screwdriver showing) This is more obvious on all saws with medallions. Tradition only, with no apparent affect on saw performance.

Hello all. Thanks for the info and comments. I appreciate it very much.
Yeah, I replaced the nuts the way I found them. The square indentation from the screw head was on the wrong side, so I went with it as is, not wanting to pipper things up. I believe this is visible in the pictures, if you look closely. Do you all think I should reverse the nuts?
Additionally, being a relative "newbie" to the restoration topic (or collecting), I am not familiar with "Simon Barley". Did he write a book that I should perhaps add to my collection?

Last edited:
Hello all. Thanks for the info and comments. I appreciate it very much.
Yeah, I replaced the nuts the way I found them. The square indentation from the screw head was on the wrong side, so I went with it as is, not wanting to pipper things up. I believe this is visible in the pictures, if you look closely. Do you all think I should reverse the nuts?
Additionally, being a relative "newbie" to the restoration topic (or collecting), I am not familiar with "Simon Barley". Did he write a book that I should perhaps add to my collection?
Gentlemen, I did a little research, and found that this book (British Saws and Sawmakers from 1660 by Simon Barley) appears to be the gold standard for UK backsaw information. I found a used library copy in the UK, shipped to the USA for just over $40 US. I will count myself fortunate, and look forward to reading it, and referring to it.
Thank you again. As I said before, I am learning a lot from you all!

Last edited:
I wouldn't change the screws now (if anyone asks, just say it was a special order for left handers :) )
[Unless, you are going to make a traditional old style handle, then change the screw orientation]
1725390742608.jpeg

Back