A moan about my saw....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cozzer

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought this.....thing.....a few months ago because I fancied having a go at pad marquetry as opposed to the scalpel/window method I've used for years.
I understood that scrolling - as all things - needs practice, and that the required skill wouldn't come overnight. That much I expected and accepted.
However, what I didn't expect was to spend more time setting the damn thing up than actually cutting the veneers!

It's a Minicraft job from way back when, mainly due to its footprint, but also cost. These things were "prized" because of their size, loved by model makers etc.
Finally got round to giving it a whirl, and armed with a selection of ridiculously-sized blades, thought I'd start off with a random free-style shape through 3 or 4 veneers.
First, figure out how to attach the saw blade....and what a farce that is.
See the tiny L shaped bit in the photo? I lost one of the two within minutes, and had to fashion another out of a scrap of aluminium I had knocking about. Their purpose - I assume - is to act as a clamp once the grub screws are tightened. Bear in mind the size of these damn things - and that you have to wield an allen key to tighten them - it gets really stupid. Don't forget that I'm also messing with 4/0 blades, which also appear to have minds of their own, and can twist around as you tighten...

minicraft.jpg

Much huffing, puffing and swearing, the bottom clamp is fitted in the machine's recess, and then you've got the whole thing to go through again at the top.
That's when you remember that you should've inserted the blade through the veneer first, so you have to undo the top clamp.

For good or bad, you cut your first piece. It's a mile off your line, but never mind....it's practice.
Then you have to undo the top bracket again.... and risk dropping the three elements - grub screw, L bit, the holder - on the floor, potentially never to be seen again.
About 3 minutes to cut, and well above 20 minutes to set up.
Ridiculous.

Are there any other users, outside of an asylum? Am I doing something wrong?

Umm, if you are doing pierced work is that not obvious? !! - appreciate the clamping system does look a bit heath-robinson but am sure with some practice you will get the hang of it!
At my local men's shed there is an older guy who is a master of the scrollsaw and whilst I have used bandsaws for ~30y+ I have had a few goes at it and I am useless. Whilst I could easily nibble an intricate shape in some timber with a bandsaw doing the same with a scrollsaw defeats me - I think it is because the blades being so much smaller and narrow depth + kerf you can turn them on the wood on the spot to change direction so moving the work-piece smoothly and knowing which direction it is cutting is key! ...

Is what not obvious?!
It wouldn't be as bad if it boasted wingnutted (is there such a word?!) bolts instead of the ludicrous grub screws!

Back