8mm gas hose

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In a domestic setting you can do what you want but

The colour will be wrong, so potentially confusing to anyone else.

Compressed air needs a hose safe to maybe 15 bar / 160 psi plus safety margin.
Fuel gas hoses are rarely used anywhere near that pressure. You have a regulator at the cylinder to drop the pressure down quite low before the gas hose is connected.
So unless you can see a pressure rating printed on the gas hose that is ample for your use, no, don't.

Personally I’d use the appropriate hose recommended by your compressor maker / plasma cutter .

Properties and potential hazards • Butane and Propane are Liquefied Petroleum Gases i.e. gases that are stored as a liquid in cylinders under pressure. At 15 degrees C the pressures are about 1.5 bar for butane and 7 bar for propane.
Way below what @Spectric quotes above ..

You quote 15 bar for typical air pressure. He is saying that the 7 bar typical for propane is considerably less ("way below") than that.

As the pressure of the stored gases differ so much, it is logical to infer that the capacity of the hoses would similarly differ.

He is thus concurring that a hose suitable for LPG might not be suitable for air.

You quote 15 bar for typical air pressure. He is saying that the 7 bar typical for propane is considerably less ("way below") than that.

As the pressure of the stored gases differ so much, it is logical to infer that the capacity of the hoses would similarly differ.

He is thus concurring that a hose suitable for LPG might not be suitable for air.
Spectric/ Sideways :)

I’ve always found that it’s just best to use what is appropriate for the job in hand . Ok in an emergency or to get yourself out of trouble on a temporary basis but as a permanent solution then why take any chances.

Much wiser, the safer, to use a hose specified for the job. Using one not designed/spec'd for the job "might" end in serious problems - disaster...

Better safer than sorrier, regardless of cost.

Latest posts

Back