PT Mobile Base - Mini-Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
Thought you might be interested in the base I've just finished for my PT. I don't have any welding equipment or know anyone that does so it had to be wood (I would have loved one built to Wakas design). I'm fairly chuffed with how it's come out. I would have liked it a little closer to the ground but the beds are at 940mm which isn't too bad.

The base is two pieces of 18mm spruce ply laminated together with TB III (because it set's a little more slowly). The castors are 75mm solid plastic Axminster variety - they seem to lock pretty tight and roll well on a concrete floor.

The side supports are just some CLS and there is a piece of 12mm ply sandwiched between the base and the side support to drop the base slightly. I wanted to drop the base a little more (40mm actually) but I realized just after I'd cut out the cruves for the wheels to swing in at the front that the wheel locking mechanism would hit the PT #-o. If anyone copies this design make the base slightly wider :D

Finally, I feel very manly today - I managed to move it onto the base on my own (SWMBO was there telling me to be careful though).

SNC00278.jpg

SNC00280.jpg

SNC00282.jpg

Your not wrong there. It got caught on a very slightly protruding nail on the pallet so I had to completely lift one side for a second. I've certainly had my daily workout!

Very nice. This will be an upcoming project for me. Although I think I'll have mine welded up from steel (like Wakas).

You need to keep an eye on the thicknessing table now. I'd be very interested if you notice any fall when the machine has been on for 15mins or more. Indeed, how much vibration are you getting when it's on but idling?

I'll certainly report back on vibration as I've been reading your thread about thicknessing table problems. I have to admit though that I haven't had a chance to power the machine up yet.

As you might be able to tell from the background of the pictures the machine is in what was the kitchen which doesn't currently any have power. I had to take a wall down just to get at the machine! (I'm not completely mad BTW, the wall was due to come down sometime anyway the P/T was just a good excuse).

Back