Carcase Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I like building tools, partly because it is pleasurable working with tools we make for ourselves, and partly because I needed a quick fix .. to see something completed now as the current project, two military chests, are still some weeks away in this regard.

It's been a while since I built a saw. I convinced myself another carcase saw would be useful. I already had one from Andrew Lunn at Eccentric Tools. This is a very fine saw and it gets much use. It could use a partner.

About a month ago I ordered a 11" long and 2 1/4" wide saw blade and brass back from Mike Wenzloff. The total was $34 for a blade toothed, sharpened and set 14 ppi crosscut. Really, that is as cheap as chips. Add in $14 for the slotted brass back, and the basic costs from a world class sawmaker is under $50! Unbelievable!

For some months I have had a bee in my bonnet about a design for a carcase saw. Firstly, I wanted to build a closed handle saw. This is quite unusual, with the exception of one from Bad Axe Works, all I have seen are open handles. Secondly, I wanted to do the lamb's tongue as a raised carving rather than either the minimised one on this Harvey Peace tenon saw I have from Mike ...

WStenonsawhandle.jpg

... or carved below, in the gorgeous sash saw handle from the Two Lawyers ..

IMG_0464.JPG

This was a lot more work than the end result indicates. The raised lamb's tongue (if I may even call it that) is tiny for the extra effort involved. What extra effort? It was necessary to carve away all but the raised areas (one on each side of the handle) before shaping the handle.

The design is also meant to be a little sporty ... you may realise that the fun in designing this saw was sufficient motive to build it. :)

OK, so here it is. The wood is Jarrah, the handle fits my rather broad paw perfectly. Where most handles are shaped from 7/8" thick stock, I used 1" (after the waste was removed for the raised sections). Finish is Organoil and wax.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The split nuts also came from Mike, but I had a stash from about a year ago.

3.jpg

4.jpg

The slotted back is a slip fit and needs to be secured with Loctite. The brass is a rectangular section and needs to be both shaped (bevelled) and polished.

5.jpg

In use the saw performed faultlessly ...

6.jpg

One final shot, here it is with the Eccentric Tools carcase saw. Although the handles look different, they have the same hang angle..

7.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi, Derek

Very nice.

That is an unbelevable price for the plate and back.

Pete

Ok, so I'm my worst enemy - physician heal thyself ... I admit, I'm a touch perfectionistic :U

I looked at the pictures on the forum, and was not happy. The raking light showed up chips and, especially, that the handle was not the rounded shape I like. So I pulled the saw apart and re-sanded and re-finished it. It is now finished in Shellawax. Most probably wouldn't even notice the difference. But I am happy now. :2tsup:

A1.jpg

I also removed a little of the mass at the inside lower curve. Klaus (Two Lawyers saws) had commented about there being too wide for the pinky. I cannot say it actually was so, but I respect his views, and it played on my mind. So ..

Stephen Shepherd (at WoodCentral) suggested I time (line up) the split nuts - this one is for you Stephen. It didn't matter too much at the time, but now ..

A2.jpg

One picture about the brass back. It is bevelled on both the upper and lower edges. The upper edges are a fine bevel, while the lower is stronger. The end of the back has been both bvevelled and rounded ...

A3.jpg

And lastly, when you build your you will need a driver for the split nuts. I made mine from an old screwdriver ...

A4.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Latest posts

Back