Spindle Moulders!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't, only the thickneser (RM) was tested that was also bought,

Either way the plan was always to strip, refurbish and rebuild, so... I'll make it spin one way or another.
Best of luck, I got a wadkin quite a few years ago that I'd not seen running wasted way too much time trying to get it running true, scrapped it in the end & bought a new machine.
Lesson learned I never buy a second hand machine now without seeing it working.

Best of luck, I got a wadkin quite a few years ago that I'd not seen running wasted way too much time trying to get it running true, scrapped it in the end & bought a new machine.
Lesson learned I never buy a second hand machine now without seeing it working.
What's life without a little risk?

I have the time and besides, it'll be a learning experience working or non-working. Somehow nowadays new just doesn't do it, even all my hand tools are vintage.

In any case when the times comes I'll be posting the refurbishment/rebuild on the forum.

Spotted this, I haven’t worked it used one but understand they are of decent build quality. Seller stated it needs a belt, and it’s 3 phase. But for £120 those ‘issues’ are easy to solve. Cheaper than a router insert!! And I’m very confident to say will be far better than a router table.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/32613358...8mfAKrtRtW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

IMG_3842.png

Reversible Spindle.
Most hobby and lower end machines will only spin the cutters in one direction. The higher end machines offer the ability to reverse the direction of rotation. This is a feature you will only find on a spindle moulder and isn’t available on a router. What’s the benefit? Well, it’s actually fairly limited, and I can think of only three situations where it’s of benefit.

1. When machining a circle or arch you can climb cut from either end avoiding spelsh as you exit. However, this can be overcome in most cases.

2. It can allow the cutter to remain under the work when reversing blades rather than having to cut from the too which is safer.

3. You can climb cut with a power feed for improved surface finish……not to be advised….in fact I would never advise doing it as it’s dangerous!
I use reverse (why do we call it that? It's just spinning the other way) about 1/4 of the time. One situation you didn't mention is when you are using a glue joint cutter and one face of the workpiece is unusable or the pieces are different thicknesses. You can mould one side of each joint with the block one way up, then flip it over and mould the other edges in the other direction.

Back