Wooden Plough plane, diffrent models

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning gents.
We all own a plough plane either a vintage wooden one or a beautiful veritas one.
My question is on wooden ones for today.
I've seen maby (normal) ploughs these are the standard wedge armed once without totes.
Then you get stem screw ploughs.
Above them you get toted stem screw ploughs
Then fancier wood, cobanation a of the two ect
And the god is the bridle plough....

I've seen all of the above but my question is do you get toted wedge armed ploughs? This I haven't seen.
For they are normally stem screws ect.

If some one can help me out I would appreciate it.
Thanks
TT

Hi Toby.
I have had a quick check of my old sales catalogues, and there are a few examples of 19th century wedged stemmed plows with rear handles. At least one by Greenslade, and the rest being Scottish.
I'm more used to discussing 18th century plows, but the only example I can show you is this one by William Wheeler of Thatcham.
Mr. Wheeler seems to have been a bit of a maverick, and came up with a few forward thinking ideas.
Having said all that. I have tried all forms of plow over the years, and I still find the unhandled wedge stemmed plow to be the best form in my opinion, especially the smaller 18th century models.
Cheers, Richard

I love the look of that,
Very striking and not a design I've ever see .
I will post pics shortly of my new plough. I also have a old one that you might like Richard. I saw saying so to Jimi the other day. It's much bigger than any plough I've seen, standard design and marked p.scott

Thanks Richard.
TT

here are my plough planes.

the top 3 pics are of one i got of ebay to day, seller lived down the road and for what i payed for his job lot i couldn't say no.
its toted but the arms are wedged. still a beautiful plane.

the pic with the 3 are ones by various makers but the difference in size is astonishing, the one on the far let is one i restored to day, the middle is one that i was going to keep but its now going to get replaced by the toted one, and the one on the right is huge and by a maker i don't know, in bpm 3rd edition there is only one scott.. SCOTT, Walter, st. Andrews St, Seven Dials
1761:insurance policy (ironmonger and dealer in wine).

is this the same Richard.
just so you can measure again one of you big ploughs its 50mm thick.

thanks,
the purpose was wether i should of got this new plough but its tool late now,

let me know what you think richard about that plane

TT

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    213.9 KB
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    168.1 KB
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    207.3 KB
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.9 KB
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    92 KB
tobytools":13si3hlx said:
Morning gents.
We all own a plough plane either a vintage wooden one or a beautiful veritas one.
My question is on wooden ones for today.
I've seen maby (normal) ploughs these are the standard wedge armed once without totes.
Then you get stem screw ploughs.
Above them you get toted stem screw ploughs
Then fancier wood, cobanation a of the two ect

I've seen all of the above but my question is do you get toted wedge armed ploughs? This I haven't seen.
For they are normally stem screws ect.

If some one can help me out I would appreciate it.
Thanks
TT

Hi Toby

The Mathieson No 8 B is a wedged handled plough ...

Wooden_plough_plane_as539a005z-1.jpg

Wooden_plough_plane_as539a005z.jpg

It's the only one I know of.

I know of a few of these. One is the Mathieson ...

BridlePloughBuild_html_m7ad430e9.jpg

And another is one I built :) ...

BridlePloughBuild_html_m9a17a9c.jpg

BridlePloughBuild_html_m4eb20c71.jpg

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTo ... Build.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek,
Strange that plough planes that are toted don't oftern have wedg arms.
Why do you think this is?

Mathieson has some grand ploughs :)
And yours Derek is one I've drooled over too, I have a project in mind and your just the man who's help I need. I have a grand set of irons for my plough (many thanks to Jimi) and I want to make a nice storage box to house my plough and irons. I've seen the one you've made and that's just the ticket.
Could I ask for a cutting list and some tips in building it. Maby you have a step by step?

My plough needs a bit of fettling, any good links that you know if that cover this?

I appreciate you taking the time to post pics.

Thanks
TT

Here's an early Greenslade handled plough with wedges. Notice the slope at the back of the body is very different to all other handled ploughs, at least in my experience.

Attachments

• Early Greenslade Handled Plough #2.JPG
    Early Greenslade Handled Plough #2.JPG
    59.4 KB
Hi Toby.
The plough by Scott looks interesting, and could well be an unrecorded late 18th century maker. I can't quite make out the brass end caps to the stems, but they look as though they may be a later addition. If so, and the original arms were uncapped it would make it even more likely that it is 18th century.
The only examples in my own collection with stocks that wide are two by Robert Fitkin.
Cheers, Richard

Thanks for replys everyone.
I'll take some better pic for you Richard afte work.
Would it be one you would be interest to own?
Thanks
TT

Latest posts

Back