[Q] Using a bow saw instead of a frame saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fromey

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I'm using the term "bow saw" to mean a wooden framed saw with tensioning cord, as illustrated here;

bowsaw.gif

Secondly, I'm using the term "frame saw" to mean a wooden framed saw where the blade is centrally located within the frame, as in this elegant one here;

frame%20finished.jpg

(I understand the term "frame saw" tends to be used for both types of saws.)

I'd like to get myself a frame saw, but it appears no-one makes them (I find that quite surprising by the way). I want one so that I can hand resaw wood (to complement my rip hand saw). Without having to make one myself, it looks like the closest thing I can get is a bow saw (of which there are many second hand and even new (e.g., Rutlands sell a nice one)).

Not having used a bow saw before, I suspect you can turn the blade to 90 degrees to the plane of the frame (like with a fret saw) and so be unhindered by the length of the wood one is trying to saw. However, I suspect the asymmetry of this configuration would make it difficult to resaw. Would I be correct in that? Would there in fact be a significant advantage to resawing using a bow saw or frame saw as opposed to a normal rip hand saw (e.g., less resistance making easier sawing)?

Thanks as always for your collective wisdom.

Fromey":2loni2v0 said:
Firstly, I'm using the term "bow saw" to mean a wooden framed saw with tensioning cord, as illustrated here;

bowsaw.gif

That's a "turning saw", which is the only kind of bow saw commonly seen in the UK. The North European woodworkers use many more types.

BugBear

My understanding is that the bow saw is for cutting curves in thinnish wood and a frame saw is for cutting veneer from vary rare exotic timber, maybe 10" wide to do this you would want a blade that was very thin, wide as not to wander to much but also long so as to clear the saw dust ( 10" cut = 20" minimum blade length. these saws I think were usually used by two people one each end.

Fromey, I think you will have to make your own Frame saw for resawing purposes. The Bowsaw type isn't suited to deep resawing even though you can swivel the blade.
A few years ago I had the idea of making one but never got around to it. I even bought a blade from Germany for the project. As predicted, overuse of the Bandsaw has lead to a great gain in my weight.

Back