WIP - my first plane!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I like to think of myself as a fairly experienced woodworker, but there are lots of things I've never made. One of them is a wooden plane. So, although I have a few already I thought I'd see what it's really like to make one myself. I have the instructions, and I have some wood.

The instructions are in John Whelan's book, "Making Traditional Wooden Planes" and I've decided to start with a bullnose plane, because it's small and because the mouth is open until closed with a bit of brass, so it should be easier to make.

The wood is from an old plane. Don't worry; this one is absolutely knackered:

IMG_1774_zps52be3089.jpg

It's been used as a scrap block for chiselling on, and is also peppered with holes. I've killed off the woodworm.

IMG_1776_zpsa2566b0b.jpg

So the first job is to expose some decent wood inside. As shown by Jim, an old Burgess 3-wheeler bandsaw is one way to do this - it's at the full limit of its cut here:

IMG_1777_zps1ef64ac5.jpg

I finished off the last bit of the cut with the Huntley Oak saw (another of Jim's recommendations)

IMG_1778_zps48bba9d2.jpg

A little planing

IMG_1780_zps2d59cdb7.jpg

and a little more sawing, and we have a useful block of well-seasoned beech:

IMG_1782_zps1228deef.jpg

The front needs to be cut at 80 degrees:

IMG_1783_zps98fc050a.jpg

which leads to this - a bit uneven, but most of this surface will disappear and I was nervous of getting the cut right first time, so I was cutting away from the line, hoping to trim up to it later.

IMG_1784_zpsb06c31a1.jpg

As the front is open, cutting the mouth starts with a pair of parallel cuts. I've made notches with a chisel to locate the saw, which once again is shy of the line:

IMG_1786_zpsbdbd62e7.jpg

The next job was to remove the wood between the saw cuts. I started doing this with a chisel and mallet; I could take off fairly thick chips but it was hard work:

IMG_1787_zps213dbbbd.jpg

To try and speed it up a bit, I thought I'd try boring a couple of holes:

IMG_1788_zps8d06f6f0.jpg

This sort of worked, but it's really important to angle the holes right to avoid scarring; here you can see how I got one hole a bit wrong:

IMG_1790_zps9120f4a5.jpg

After some more paring this mostly disappeared.

The next job was to cut out the abutments for the blade and wedge. I used a nice stiff Japanese keyhole saw, but a turning saw or coping saw would have been suitable as well.

IMG_1793_zps6b53104e.jpg

This was followed by lots of slow and careful chiselling.

The iron I intend to use is a double one, so I needed to cut away to accommodate the head of the screw that holds the cap iron on.

IMG_1796_zpsde5ee771.jpg

First step was to drill a shallow hole - I used a 7/8" centre bit

IMG_1797_zpsffccf8da.jpg

but this didn't cut very cleanly on the slanting grain, so I switched to a more modern Forstner bit:

IMG_1798_zps991958a9.jpg

IMG_1799_zps48daea5a.jpg

This was then followed by hours more careful chiselling, checking and adjusting.
By this time it was becoming clear that it's far more efficient to get the sizing right first time, saw in the right place, and not need to do so much extra trimming.
The most efficient cuts were done with a big paring chisel; a flat rasp was very useful as well.

This is how far I have got today:

IMG_1804_zpsea5df867.jpg

It's very far from being a thing of beauty, but an interesting exercise which is increasing my admiration for people who can do this properly.

Meanwhile I need some wood for the wedge, so it's time to attack this old cherry log again:

IMG_1802_zpsd5162183.jpg

IMG_1803_zps70069479.jpg

That's all for this year - stay tuned and see how long this little project takes me!

I wondered how long it would take for you to get into plane making....seeing your increasing collection of my favourite tools...the temptation must have just got too much!! 8) :mrgreen:

Nice to see some of the recommended tools being used too! Nice one mate! :wink:

I've noticed a trend lately...(viz Richard A's SS present)...for recycling old woodies and I just might have a lump of beech waiting in the workshop somewhere gathering dust just crying out to be part of the club...mmmmm! :wink:

Funny enough...that slope bit for the bed is the bit that looks the easiest and is by far the hardest bit to get right...what I think is amazing is doing that on the skew as well...I say it again...mind-boggling!

Really great WIP pictures and narration there my dear friend...and I look forward to the next instalments greatly.

And if you think by jumping ship into the tool world means I am going to be making a set of folding library steps sometime soon you have another thing coming!!! :mrgreen:

Cheers

Jim

Jim - how are you going to reach all of your tool collection without some folding steps? :duno: :D

Richard - thanks for the reminder; I'd seen that article but not re-read it. Oddly, he says to use a gouge for sinking the opening:

"...Next, with a very strong gouge and mallet, sink down to a level of the bed line and front line..."

There is a similar reference to using a gouge in Charles Hayward's directions from The Woodworker, as reproduced on Alf's site: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/wwjackplane.html

Would I be right in taking that to mean "use a gouge to cut an initial groove across the width of the plane, so that you have somewhere for the wood to go, as you start paring from back and from the front"?

Is that what you did on your lovely secret Santa plane? Did you take any wip photos?
This open front is easier, but nobody needs very many bullnose planes, so the next one is going to have to be a proper job.

I will just add that another good place to look for information on how to make a plane is the lovely old Swiss video here http://www.rts.ch/archives/tv/culture/suisse-au-fil-du-temps/3464421-les-outils-de-bois.html. I make no apology for linking to this again - if anyone has not had a look at it, I urge you to do so. You don't need to speak French to get the gist of what the old fellas are saying as they proceed with such assurance.
There are some good shots of enlarging the mouth and final paring - from about 6:30 to 8:40 and 9:15 to 10:00. They show use of a long strong chisel about 1/2" wide and how to lodge the handle against the shoulder to get a good strong push. I don't have as much weight to put behind the tool as he does though!

AndyT":3eji158z said:
Jim - how are you going to reach all of your tool collection without some folding steps? :duno: :D

Richard - thanks for the reminder; I'd seen that article but not re-read it. Oddly, he says to use a gouge for sinking the opening:

"...Next, with a very strong gouge and mallet, sink down to a level of the bed line and front line..."

There is a similar reference to using a gouge in Charles Hayward's directions from The Woodworker, as reproduced on Alf's site: http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/wwjackplane.html

Would I be right in taking that to mean "use a gouge to cut an initial groove across the width of the plane, so that you have somewhere for the wood to go, as you start paring from back and from the front"?

Is that what you did on your lovely secret Santa plane? Did you take any wip photos?
This open front is easier, but nobody needs very many bullnose planes, so the next one is going to have to be a proper job.

I will just add that another good place to look for information on how to make a plane is the lovely old Swiss video here http://www.rts.ch/archives/tv/culture/suisse-au-fil-du-temps/3464421-les-outils-de-bois.html. I make no apology for linking to this again - if anyone has not had a look at it, I urge you to do so. You don't need to speak French to get the gist of what the old fellas are saying as they proceed with such assurance.
There are some good shots of enlarging the mouth and final paring - from about 6:30 to 8:40 and 9:15 to 10:00. They show use of a long strong chisel about 1/2" wide and how to lodge the handle against the shoulder to get a good strong push. I don't have as much weight to put behind the tool as he does though!
Hi Andy. Sorry to say I didn't have time to take any wip photo's, but from past experience I have come to realise that using a strong gouge to remove the bulk of the wood is the most efficient way. The first bench plane I made I tried to remove as much wood as possible with a morticer, thinking it would speed up the process, but having re read the Armour article I used a gouge on the next one, and was surprised how quick and efficient it is. Don't forget Bill carters trick of using a chisel ground square across for final truing of the bed (http://www.billcarterwoodworkingplanema ... uk/12.html) It really does work well

Thanks Richard - I'm still having problems visualising the use of a gouge at this point - is it to make a single groove, or is it more a question of carving out as deep as you can?

And thanks for the Bill Carter blunt chisel tip - I'll certainly be using that one when I get to cleaning up to final surfaces. While on his site I did spot evidence that he does drill away some of the waste - but by drilling broad shallow holes the other way around:

36+th+plane+6.jpg

AndyT":5lqpgzch said:
Thanks Richard - I'm still having problems visualising the use of a gouge at this point - is it to make a single groove, or is it more a question of carving out as deep as you can?

And thanks for the Bill Carter blunt chisel tip - I'll certainly be using that one when I get to cleaning up to final surfaces. While on his site I did spot evidence that he does drill away some of the waste - but by drilling broad shallow holes the other way around:

36+th+plane+6.jpg
Hi Andy. I must admit that I am still trying to fully understand Mr Armours description, but the main thing is that I found it quicker to remove the bulk of the material with a mallet and gouge rather than trying to drill a series of holes. I wouldn't have believed it until I actually tried it.

BPM3 Says
PRESTON George Palmerston and Sons tool merchants 1889 ish to 1968
Rep used to call like the Snapon man today :wink:

Andy

how are you getting on with this Andy? Any progress since the last update?

marcros":3dck5s8j said:

None at all I'm afraid - other stuff has got in the way, and it was proving quite hard!
I will get back and finish it some time, but I don't like to rush these things ;-)

AndyT":xubfzl4z said:
marcros":xubfzl4z said:

None at all I'm afraid - other stuff has got in the way, and it was proving quite hard!
I will get back and finish it some time, but I don't like to rush these things ;-)

Very deceiving these woodies and their construction...which makes the masterpieces of Philly that much more remarkable.

I am looking forward to seeing the end result....I am sure it will be a masterpiece as are all the works of the Professor! 8)

Jim

Well, to those of you who may have thought I would never finish this plane, I have exciting news.
After more than three years languishing on my to-do list, I have finished it!

I've not documented it in every detail, as I didn't want to slow down the frantic pace :---) but here's the story of what I did in the workshop today, on a bank holiday notable for its off-putting weather.

I needed to fit the wedge. To find out what angle I really needed, I cut a couple of thin bits of wood to suit the double iron, like this:

IMG_4563_zpss52oqvcu.jpg

I then moved on to cutting some brass for the front - luckily, I bought some during the intervening years. Here I am cutting a rectangle out from a larger piece:

IMG_4564_zps2smcnjx5.jpg

It needs a rebate on the front of the plane:

IMG_4565_zpspbz6xy0g.jpg

(I'm using a parrot vice here - which is excellent for this sort of work.)

I drilled some holes in the brass, enlarged them and countersunk them:

IMG_4566_zpsis1ig7gu.jpg

(I really do like using new old stock made in Sheffield drills - nice and sharp!)

Having fitted the brass (with some steel screws for now) I filed round the outside of it, to fit the wood. I tried protecting the wood with masking tape, but it just tore off. In fact, the dreadnought style file was nice and easy to control, without digging in to the beech.

IMG_4567_zpsgdqvi2sb.jpg

IMG_4569_zpsyyi1qiwb.jpg

With the brass in place, I soon found that the iron could not emerge from the mouth

IMG_4570_zpswcldfquq.jpg

so I had to pare the bed back a little

IMG_4571_zpszpq7zffn.jpg

This picture shows it fitting properly

IMG_4574_zpszabno6jh.jpg

I then turned back to the wedge, which needed some sawing, planing and lots of adjustment to make it fit. (I used my measuring wedges to mark the sides.)

IMG_4576_zps2je4eyqg.jpg

IMG_4577_zpsdxkitlvx.jpg

IMG_4579_zpsyuudackj.jpg

Those of you who have done this will appreciate how hard this is. I understand that the objective is to get all the surfaces meeting along their whole length at the same moment. In practice, I know how difficult it is to know if you need to make the wedge smaller or open the abutments, and by how much, on which surface. (And I'm definitely relying on the wedge being made of moderately soft, accommodating cherry, so it can absorb some inaccuracies.)

Having got the wedge to fit, I trimmed it to length and shaped it a bit. I also shaped the end of the plane (pencil lines, planing) and added some chamfers (gouge, chisel, block plane, sandpaper).

There's nothing as good as doing this to help you understand how good commercial plane makers were. To cut the chamfers with a sharp gouge, to a definite line, is so much better than my random softening.

As a last embellishment, I used my home-made initial stamp to squeeze a mark onto the wedge

IMG_4582_zps0i9crinu.jpg

IMG_4583_zpsdnzdmhrc.jpg

Anyhow, here is the nearly finished thing, taking a shaving:

IMG_4580_zpsx8x5nid4.jpg

and from the rear

IMG_4581_zpstxlljtq1.jpg

I've also slathered some boiled linseed oil over it and will soon go back and give it a wipe over.

So, at last, I have a wooden bull-nosed smoothing plane. I wonder if I will find a use for it? :?

Nice one, Andy - always satisfying to cross off a long-standing entry on the 'to-do' list! Also worth noting that the first one of anything you make is always the hardest and by far the most time-consuming - with that one under your belt, the next ones will be easy. Well, easier, anyway....

Actually, when you think about it, you've tackled the difficult bits of plane-making. Excavating the mortice, bedding the iron and fitting the wedge. With those successfully completed, you're equipped to tackle just about anything else.

Hi Andy,

Congratulations, it looks great. I am well endowed with patience but not for making tools as I have so many things I want to do with toolls, but I'm full of admiration for those who take the plunge and make a good fist of it, even more so having recently spent a morning with Phil Edwards for a profile article which is in the latest issue of Furniture and Cabinetmaking. The work he does with a preetty limited range of tools and machinery really is amazing and it's really good to see him making a success of it.

Jim

Back