making louver door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie01

Reaction score
Hi,

Could anyone help, i am looking to make some fixed louver doors for our kitchen units does anyone know the best way to make them or any tips in how to make them as im not sure where to start!!

Thankyou

If you go to the New Yankee Workshop, I think you'll find that Norm has a project plan for a jig to cut all the angled mortices. I can't remember the details. Brimarc sell NYW stuff i the UK, so you try them.
Cheers
Steve

Jamie

Can't really help, but this always reminds me of a friend's father who read an article years ago (late '50s - Barry Bucknell?!) and wanted to do the same. Apparently the instructions started 'Have made a pair of louvered doors!!!!!'. Clearly it is easier to get someone else to do the hard work!

Phil

I built Norm's Louvre Door jig, but was lucky enough to have been sent the "Jigs" programme that he did (as an .mpg file, now long-since gone), from which I made my version.

Instead of setting strips of ply in dados to act as a saddle for the two stiles, I decided to screw saddle strips to the underside. This now means that - as I had cut the chevrons wider than needed for the current use - I can now use the same jig for stock much wider than 3/4" - I'll just have to reposition the saddle strips underneath. Here's what I mean:

ldj01.jpg

I thought about using a couple of straight-edge clamps on the jig face to set the routing distance for each operation, but decided that it would be a pain. Instead, I screwed on the outer limiting strips (again, so that I can re-use the jig for widths greater than 3/4" stock) and made a spacer to restrict the inner travel on each side. The spacer required was 3/4" for a 3/4" stile because the outer limiters were the same distance from each side. Here it is, in place for routing the right-hand slots:

ldj02.jpg

Here it is ready to do the left-hand slots:

ldj03.jpg

The jig works by clamping the two stiles into my WorkMate, then dropping the jig over them, aligning vertically and clamping:

ldj04.jpg

Here's the result of the first test run on some scrap 3/4" ply:

ldj05.jpg

Finally, here's the first sample dry-fitted. The custom panels will be made in hardwood, so I'm hoping for some good results now.

ldj06.jpg

The jig was slightly easier to cut on the bandsaw than in Norm's version, because I've got a a different place miter gauge which goes all the way round the angles and could be locked at 25 degrees (without the need to make an additional sled for the bandsaw, thank goodness!).

Ray

hi

norm is on tonight makeing louvers from 9pm on shed.

in mho it would be better to bye them from b&poo you can't make them for the price they sell at,

woodbutcher
(richard)

Have you got a morticer?

Mark out the stiles at 45degrees for all the louvres, with the correct spacings you require. Your louvres should be the same thickness as your morticing chisel, 25mm ideally! Set up your morticing chisel so that it is at 45degrees and centre to you door stile. Then just mortice one 25x25mm hole. Then tennon all your louvres to fit the mortices!

I have made loads of louvre doors this way, regardless of wether or not it is the correct way.... its the way thats does work and never had any returns or complaints.

Picture of one of my louvre doors at this link: http://www.freewebs.com/simonswoodwork/Image005.jpg

There's a video on you-tube where a guy seems to have a very simple approach using a Festool Domino gadget.

Hold on a sec and I'll dig it out....

Joiner-Sim, I don't understand your 25mm x 25mm bit. Surely your louvres are not 25mm thick? I must be missing something, please can you clarify for thickos like me?

S

Steve, to be honest its has been at least february since I last made a door or window of any kind! I used 25mm as an example, I think that it was probably more like an 18mm louvre now that you come to mention it, but really its the same principle anyway.

Simon, that's still one **** of a thick louvre. They are usually 6mm or so, surely? I'm not trying to be awkward, I just don't understand.

S

Steve Maskery":j5wkbzre said:
Simon, that's still one **** of a thick louvre. They are usually 6mm or so, surely? I'm not trying to be awkward, I just don't understand.

S

If you click on the link for the picture I included in my first post you will see it was an external door.

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your help i have a much better idea now of where to start now!! dont know what they will end up like but thansk again

Latest posts

Back